The Joseph Starbuck, named after the wealthy whaling merchant who built her, was the last one built at the Brant Point shipyard, launched in 1838. She completed one successful voyage to the Pacific and was fitted out for her second in 1842. She was a beautiful and highly valued ship of live oak, and copper fastened. The vessel alone was insured for $24,000.
On Sunday, November 27, 1842, the ship left Nantucket with a favorable breeze, in tow of the steamer Telegraph, for Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard, where she was to load and proceed on a whaling voyage. There were on board, in addition to the full complement of hands belonging to her, a number of ladies, who were intending to accompany their friends and husbands to Edgartown, before taking final leave of them. In total there were 35 souls aboard the ship.
Gardner, Arthur. "Wrecks Around Nantucket" Inquirer And Mirror, 1915. p 46-47
(Text has been lightly edited for narrative purposes)
Music and Narration: Performed, Produced and Edited by Evan Schwanfelder.
Special Thanks to Katie Schwanfelder for all your help and for joining the discussion
Email Contact: [email protected]